Saturday, May 3, 2014

Aluminum Plant (Pilea cadierei)

I bought these plants probably because they were on sale and definitely because I needed something to fill a new little red container I had just acquired.  Also, I was at a point in my life when I needed something new and fun.  I had never heard of them before or seen them, to my recollection.  I potted them with generic potting soil along with this polka dot plant I got at the same time, September 2013.


While the polka dot plant took off, these two aluminums didn't do so hot.  After I repotted the polka dot plant in its own habitat, since it had gotten too large for this container, I moved the aluminums each to their own pots.



Shortly after this repotting in late fall early winter, I lost one - the leaves turned brown, shriveled and fell off until all I was left with was a stump.  The second lost some leaves in the same way, but I've managed to keep it alive.

April 2014 (you can see some browned tips on all the leaves, I can't figure out what this is from yet):


Here are some stats I found on this rascal.

1.) Propagate: cuttings set in water until roots form.
2.) Water: keep moist during the growing season, let dry out during the winter months.
3.) Light: bright indirect light
4.) Fertilize: standard balanced fertilizer, every 2 weeks in the growing months
5.) Soil: sandy soil mixture

No comments:

Post a Comment