Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Purple Shamrock (Oxalis triangularis)

I am still trying to figure this one out.  I got the one below in June of 2013 on discount, advertised as office desk spring decor, which means it was probably nearing the end of its glory.  Nonetheless, I thought with my limited experience as a botany enthusiast, I could coax the plant to sustained life for another couple years.

Here it is arriving home from the nursery:


And here it is potted:


Lastly, here it is with its close neighbor, the wandering jew.  I love this mix of purple together!


Perhaps one of these days I will try this plant again.  As I recall, it needed a more regular watering cycle than I could remember to give it.  I believe it would droop as it dried out and that's when I would know I was behind in watering.  This happened way too many times to be healthy, probably.  Also, I remember reading somewhere that once it blooms it doesn't last much longer.  Or perhaps it is that it is tough to trick it into dormancy?  Anyway, this puppy died only months after I bought it.

No comments:

Post a Comment