Saturday, April 26, 2014

Snake Plant


Bought this little baby for 25 cents at the flea market today. I have been looking for them around at the local nursery but somehow was unable to find one. I'm excited about taking a wee one like this and growing it into something substantial.
Here is my purchase right when it got home.

Here it is after I potted it in a more permanent container and set it on it's new home on a northern wall next to an eastern window.



I've yet to do any research about this one regarding care and maintenance.

EDIT:

Here are some tips I just gathered regarding this plant.

1.) Propagate: divide during repotting, new shoots emerge as spikes and can be taken and potted separately.
2.) Water: once a week, reduced to once every two weeks during winter
3.) Light: can thrive in low light conditions, but grows well in bright natural light.
4.) Fertilize: 10-10-10, or mild cactus fertilizer. Do not fertilize in winter.
5.) Soil: all-purpose succulent potting medium, or something low in peat.

No comments:

Post a Comment