Saturday, May 10, 2014

Propagating Wandering Jew

Today I finally took my rooting cuttings of the wandering jew I recently incarnated into the next generation.  Here you can see the 50 or so cuttings I'd had soaking in a short vase of water, developing roots.



All but maybe 3 of them had a decent start to a root system.



And here is their new home:


 


 I planted them in 4 groups, bunching them up in my hand, boring a little hole and shoving them down in.  There's probably 14 or so in each group.  I have found that planting a whole mess together like this yields a much fuller and hearty looking plant.  I used to plant them stem by stem in a spread out configuration that led to leggy looking adult plants.


Since I was reusing potting soil, I added a scoop of vermiculite and pearlite, mixed it around a little bit with the soil and sprinkled maybe an inch on top of the pot of reused soil.  I read somewhere that it is good to reuse soil for new plants, new soil may "shock" them.  I also doused the new potting with a full flush of 15-30-15 fertilizer in rainwater.


I'll report back in a few weeks to let you know how many have taken root and how it's growing!

No comments:

Post a Comment