Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Succulent Propagation Struggling Outdoors

So I realize that taking brand new baby succulents, that don't even have roots yet, and sticking them in new soil, thrusting them out into a wilderness mix of more intense sunlight and more extreme temperatures is probably a terrible idea.  But I tried it anyway.  I wanted a companion piece to my hanging basket and since my door faces south, I figured it would be some great light for the succulents.  Well, the temperature is still dipping down pretty low in these late May weeks.  And it is starting to show on my plants.  So tonight I decided I would start bringing the pots in at night.  I walk right past them going in and out of my house, this should be a task I will remember to do.

May 2014, brought the plants inside:





Hard to see in the below image, but the sedum leaves have dark brown splotches on them.  Such significant contrasting color change in such a short period of time can never be a good sign.


I think I will keep these little propagation pots inside on the window sill with the terrariums.  I slipped plastic sleeves into the saucers to prevent the overflow from further damaging the wood window sill.


Conversely, the "terrarium" propagations look like they are handling their new location, a west-facing window just inside my front door.



No comments:

Post a Comment