Saturday, May 10, 2014

African Violet (Saintpaulias)

My understanding is that these plants are long-term bloomers, close in decoration value to an orchid.  I got this one already in bloom.  I originally had it in an east-facing room where it received perhaps an hour of direct sunlight from a west-facing window in an adjacent room.  It started to lose a lot of its blooms so I wasn't sure if this was from not enough sunlight or perhaps not enough watering.  So I took it out of that darker space and put it on a west-facing window sill.  There haven't been any new blooms but it seems to be doing well.  I think the plant likes humidity so I am trying to keep it pretty moist.

March 2014:


May 2014:


I have also read that if you get water on the leaves and don't wipe it off, it will create brown spots that never repair.  So far I seem to have kept all the water in the soil, though, admittedly I don't really take care when watering!

1.) Propagate: Divide during repotting or grown from leaf cuttings.
2.) Water: Keep soil moist but not soggy.
3.) Light: Moderate to bright indirect light.
4.) Fertilize:
5.) Soil:  

No comments:

Post a Comment