Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Propagating African Violet

Since I was bummed that all my blooms shriveled off this plant (I'm still trying to figure out why, it could be a combo of improper moisture, improper humidity and improper sunlight... in other words I had no idea what I was doing), I decided to try to propagate it so at least I had something to be proud of!

From what I read, this can take a few months before you start to really see growth.  But here is what I read and the method I am following.

Take some clippings off of your African Violet, keeping about 1" of stem per leaf, as in the photo below.



Plant these clippings in African Violet potting soil, or whatever soil combo you come up with that is appropriate for these plants.  Then flood the pot making sure it is totally saturated.  Then cover the pot with a sealed plastic bag.  I used zip locks which I could almost close around the plants, but I figured a tiny opening at the bottom wouldn't impact the humidity-tightness of the environment.  The plant is theoretically able to sustain itself like this until it starts sprouting new growth in a couple months, so it's just autopilot here on out.  I'll post more pics of what this mini greenhouse looks like when I can get some photos during the day time.  Fingers crossed that it is as simple as it sounds!  And that my AV is sprouting some new blooms soon.  You can almost see them in the photo below.


EDIT:
I forgot to post photos of what the clippings looked like in their mini greenhouses.


No comments:

Post a Comment