Monday, June 23, 2014

Checking in on some propagation

A few weeks ago, I took the seeds from a gerber daisy blossom and planted them in some soil, which I have kept pretty wet.  (Gerber daisy seed post)  Below are photos at almost exactly 3 weeks later.


I had them outside for a little bit, on my stoop which faces South.  But I was a little weary of all that exposure and wasn't sure if the little sprouts would take well to a blasting of sun 16 hours a day, so I moved them up to an East facing window sill, which gets pretty strong sun from about 5:30 or 6 till about noon.

Additionally, my sedum clippings appear to be sprouting some new growth as well!  You may recall a post back in May where I showed some sprouts that I removed from the "mother trunk" and some "leaves" that I plucked from the trunk, in an attempt to propagate.  I believe all of the sprouts have taken root, because when I tug on them, I either pull too hard and hear roots tearing, or I get enough resistance that I stop tugging!


In this photo you can see the new cluster of leaves forming at the base of the leaf where it meets the soil.  I am pretty excited to see how this one develops!  Of the half dozen or so of these that I am trying, this is the only one I have noticed to show such growth.  This is about 6 weeks after I initially plucked the leaf and stuck it in soil.

Because these cuts are in a tiny terracotta pot, I try to water it every morning or every evening.  It seems that succulents root better during propagation attempts when they are kept on or near consistently moist soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment