Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Sun Burn

A new thing I'm trying this summer is to put plants outside by my front door.  This may be a little aggressive, because with the way my apartment is laid out, all my windows face East, North or West, and my front door faces South.  So plants that are used to brief periods of sunlight are suddenly fully exposed all day long.  And it's been a little bit warm out there.  So I am finding that after a few days, no matter what plant I try, there is sun burn.

I've read that you should really stage this, like do 4 hours the first couple days and slowly increase exposure allowing plants time to adjust.  However, I work a full-time job and somehow I think that exposing the plants to the sun between the hours of 5am and 8am won't really help it transition to all day.  So I've been trying this all or nothing approach.

Below you can see some examples of the sun burn.

Wandering Jew:
(I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to let this one ride it out or if I'm going to move it to a shadier spot or just bring it back inside.)



Sedum clippings:



Kalanchoe:


No comments:

Post a Comment