Sunday, June 8, 2014

Weekend Clean Up

When I returned home this weekend I went around to check on my various babes.  It looks like I may have gotten some sprouts out of the gerber daisy seeds I planted last week!


At least I hope that's what the growth is and not some miscellaneous plant that came in from the soil or more likely the rainwater.   I noticed this past week that a few of my pots have fungi growing in them!  I can only imagine the rainwater batch I was using had some spores.  Luckily they don't seem to last long, I think they get fried in the sun.

My original polka dot plant was looking like it need a new pot.  If you recall, that thing got pretty tall last summer/fall then fell into a deep dormant state.  Now it is starting to grow again, so I want the new root system to expand in fresh new soil in a new pot.  And hopefully divide the plant in the process!  So I dug it out of its pot and found quite the massive root ball:




I divided the ball and stems into two chunks, since there are essentially two stems coming out of it.  The one was a little larger than the other, so in the end I used three different sized pots.  The ittiest of bittiest pots is for what appears to be a new stem/baby altogether.  Observe:



In other news, my super ultra dense bajillionth generation wandering jew looks to be doing very well!  


This wandering jew appears to be making a comeback from its leggier, stringier beginnings.  I've placed it outside in what I hope will be enough shade behind this pot of future sunflowers.


You can see I moved my ivy outside, too.  It wasn't doing so well inside for some reason.  Half the leaves on one side were getting droopy.  I'm not sure if it was because I neglected to water it or if its this weird infestation that appears to have covered all the leaves in a cobweb like coating.  I didn't take any detail photos of it before I shook it off and attempted to drench the plant after setting it outside.  I'll have to keep you posted on those developments.  Not sure if it's a good idea, but something tells me putting the plant out in the fresh air and sunshine might help ward off whatever those creepers are.  Or the environmental shock may just put the plant out of its misery!  We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment