Sunday, June 1, 2014

Planting Gerber Daisy Seeds

A couple days ago my Gerber Daisy's second bloom was starting to droop and drop its petals.  The prior weekend my parents had helped me transplant some various flowers and also gave me an Oriental Poppy spent bud, and said that in time the bud would open to reveal a boat load of seeds.  As I took a closer look at the dropping daisy, I pondered if this plant spread seeds in a similar fashion.  With a little help from Google, it turned out my suspicions were correct!

Below is the daisy as it is dropping and dispensing seeds.


From what I have read, most of the seeds are "infertile."  You should look for the larger ones that actually appear to have a seed-like element in its shaft.  In the photo below, that would be the two at the top.  The rest, you can see, are very narrow.




So the idea is to plant these seeds, with the white tufts at the surface of the soil.  So, I poked little holes in the soil, dropped in the seeds, and packed the soil around the seed's top.  Then I watered very gingerly.

Plunging a hole:



Dropping a seed:


Watering:


 I found about 6 or 7 of these seeds, so I have 4 containers set up, some with two seeds, some with one.  I read that germination takes about 2 weeks, so I will have to follow-up this post at that time.  The thought of having 4 more pots of gerber daisies is pretty awesome!

Here's the original bloom I bought back in late March 2014:



No comments:

Post a Comment