Sunday, March 15, 2015

Palm, Repotted

My palm has been doing really well over the past two years.  It continues to sprout up new leaves taller and longer than those preceding.  I did notice, however, a couple weeks ago a number of leaves turning brown in one particular shoot.  This weekend I finally had a chance to repot the palm, something I was planning to do in a month or two, but this new dying shoot pushed it up on the priority list.

The leaves I am tugging on here are all attached to the same shoot.
They all dried out and turned brown.

The leaves pointing to the bottom of the photo are all dead.
I didn't have any seemingly appropriately sized pots to step up into, so I went to Home Depot and bought this monster pot.
Decidedly way too big.

When I was at Home Depot, I noticed all the huge palms in the store were in tiny little plastic pots, which really only had a few inches between the shoots and the edge of the pot.  Granted, they are grown like this in the most ideal conditions, but still, it festered in my mind.  I bought the huge pot and went home to prep it for the palm.

For the first time I actually measured the
depth of the stone layer I put at the bottom!
I laid in some soil on top of the stones and got ready
to set the palm and its root ball into the new pot.


Pausing for a moment, I decide that the palm is not really all that root bound, given how tall and full it is.  I was expecting way more root visibility than this, particularly when you compare it to my polka dot plants, which are way smaller and less dense.  I ultimately decided that this pot was way too big, and I ended up planting it in a kitchen utensil storage container.  I do not have the photo, but will post it another time when I'm doing my annual check up on this plant.  Below are the rest of the photos I took during this exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment