Sunday, March 1, 2015

New Babe! Dragon Tree (Dracaena Marginata)

I have been eyeing up this plant for quite some time now and for whatever reason, today I decided I would take one home with me.  I had intended to put it in a small white pot as shown in the first photo, but as I so often do, I misgauged how much depth the original root system/soil mass has and it simply would not fit.  You can see the larger silver pot I ended up using in the final photograph.

Gathering materials for nestling in this new plant!
This plant was less than $4 at Home Depot.  I feel like that's not a terrible investment for what I hope will eventually be a large floor plant/tree.  Ultimately I'd love to have a bunch of tall plants, but I'm a little cheap to just go out and drop a couple hundo's on some mature house plants/trees.  Besides, it's kind of fun to chart the growth of some of these babes!

Dragon in its store original plastic sleeve.

The soil was very loose and wet, so it must have just been watered.  The mix looked mostly peat moss, so I didn't bother stirring up a new soil combo.  I mostly filled in around it with peat and then sprinkled some of a leftover mix which had some perlite and possibly vermiculite in it.

Oh yes, definitely ready for a new pot!  But not that white one, too tiny!

Stepping it up to a larger ceramic pot with a metallic glaze.

Per usual, there's a nice stone base and I left about an inch between the top of the soil and the top edge of the pot.  I imagine this soil will compact after a month or two of waterings, so I will probably layer in some more soil on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment