Sunday, March 1, 2015

New Babe! Money Tree (Pachira Aquatica)

This particular plant has an interesting background, but we'll save the details for another day.  Essentially, another rescue situation wherein the plant was received as a gift and neglected, I took it in with Open Arms (Mariah Carey song)!

The plant in its original typical plastic 4" pot, with the materials I used to give it a more permanent home in the larger clear plastic sleeve & decorative white ceramic pot combo.
I used some potting soil left over from a previous mix to fill in the space of the upgraded pot.  Of course, I laid in a layer of stones.  This time it was probably about 1" deep, and I'm actually using river stones as I ran out of my river rock, which is a little more jagged, finer pieces and less aesthetic.  I don't end up using these more "glamorous" rocks like I thought I might, so I figured I might as well put them to some use!  

The money tree in its final resting place - for a year or so, that is!
I believe this rascal will do well in low light or indirect lighting conditions.  I imagine its watering requirements are akin to my palm - it likes to be moist, but not drenched, and probably dries out pretty easily - I mean look at all those stems!  This will be the first plant I have ever had to actually maintain a braid with, so that will be an interesting challenge, but I'm hoping to get this sucker to grow several feet tall so it becomes a floor plant.  We'll see how long that takes!

No comments:

Post a Comment