Sunday, December 14, 2014

Cyclamen

Wow, this morning I realized I had never made a post, or really a label-worthy mention, of my cyclamen!  I don't recall when I got this one, but if I had to guess I would say about a year ago?  This one tends to bloom in the autumn/winter and is a distinct red color, which leads me to believe it is cyclamen persicum.

So, after I received it, I put it into this plastic red pot you see on the right below.  Again, nowadays I would totally drop a layer of river rock in there to help with drainage even though it has built-in drainage, but back then I wasn't of that practice yet.  At some point this year I decided plastic pots were no longer showy enough, so I started migrating all of my plants into ceramic pots.  For this one, I tried to shimmy the root/tubular mass into that blue-striped vase on the left.  Yeah I think it took like 10 minutes and I might have squeezed it down, but it was clear that could never be a permanent home.





I ended up putting it in a glass vase, which is a much better fit, and actually looks quite nice.  I thought this would also help with keeping the leaves in a more dense arrangement - the leaves and flowers would drape over the edge of the red pot and just look like a jumbly mess.  What I ended up deciding to do was twist-tying the stems in a tighter bundle, which you can see in the image below.  I think it looks much nicer.



When I saw these in Bucks Country Garden yesterday, all the plants had the blooms shooting up right in the center of all the leaves.  It looked pretty slick and I'm wondering if there is a way I can achieve that effect... Perhaps my muddling with the roots and such messed up this growth formation.




Below is a closeup of the twist tie I have used to snug up the stems of the leaves and blooms.  It actually doesn't look really tight at the moment, I occasionally adjust it as needed.



So, this happens if you don't regularly rotate your plants - all the leaves and blooms face the window. At this point, of course I just spin it 180 and let all the pretty parts face me at the sink.  Eventually they'll all twist and turn to face out the window again.


And below is the pretty front side!


No comments:

Post a Comment