Sunday, November 23, 2014

Finally Repotting the Jade Jewel

So due to perhaps not quite having the perfect pot, I realized recently that I still had my jade jewel "on display" in just a plastic sleeve type of pot.  Since the plant has demonstrated significant growth since I bought it, and I had picked up a few pots at a yard sale late this summer, I figured today might be a good day to repot it.


After gently separating the soil from the pot walls, I was able to slip out the root mass.  As you can see below, it was probably will appreciate the slightly larger pot I put it into.



Below you can see the new pot is probably an inch or so greater in diameter than the previous pot.  Not a huge step up, but at least now it has a classier home!  As per usual, there is a stone base in the pot to help with drainage (not pictured).


To fill in the void of the new diameter, I used some "all purpose" potting soil I found on sale at a local hardware store.  It smelled a little "fresh" so I decided to mix in some peat moss, perlite, vermiculite and bark.  The bark I threw in mainly in an effort to match the mix the plant came with - it's not the same kind of bark, but maybe it'll have some of the same nutrients.


And ta da!  New pot in place.  Today I put up some of that "window cling wrap" product, in the hopes of creating a more comfortable wintry environment for both me and my little babes.


No comments:

Post a Comment