Sunday, October 19, 2014

Fried Bamboo, What is the Deal!?

I am at a loss for what has happened to my bamboo plant.  It seems that after I repotted it in a new jar with just rocks, it's started to turn yellow and is now almost completely yellow.  The little pot it came in had rocks, but it also had some of that clear gel that absorbs water and slowly releases it.  Perhaps this bamboo variety is not accustomed to complete submersion in water, which is why they had the gels in there.  I thought the gels were more of a watering convenience for the greenhouse as it meant they would not have to water it as frequently.  But it certainly seems that I am incorrect.

Here is my bamboo shortly after repotting it a month and a half ago:




Here it is today:


Taking a closer look at the roots, most of them seem fine, those one has a bit of an orange tinge to it, which leads me to believe it is not enjoying the constant exposure to water.  I'm going to stop by Agway and pick up some of that gel in a fresh bag and throw it into the stone mix.  For now, I've just drained all of the water out of the jar and hope that helps to dry out the roots some.

When my Chinese evergreen started to turn yellow, the "root" of the problem was overwatering and zero drainage whereby the the majority of the roots had rotted out.  I'm not sure that this is an identical problem, but it's the only inference I can make at this time.  As usual, I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment