Sunday, October 19, 2014

Caladium Pest Problem... Eradicated!

It appears that my strategy for eliminating that unidentified life-sucking pest has succeeded!  Well, for the most part.  You may recall, my last ditch effort was to divide up the main tubular into individual chunks, giving each chunk a thorough cleanse in the sink and fresh new soil and container.  I ended up with 7 separate containers of itty bitty caladium parts.  Of those 7, 3 have begun to flourish and 4 have withered away.  I must not have been as thorough with the cleanse on those 4 because once again, almost over night, the pests returned and began to cover the entire stem and underside of the leaf.  If I had acted quickly, I probably could have repeated the cleaning and repotting strategy and saved those plants.  But I couldn't designate enough time in the middle of the week to execute and so they have perished.







1 comment:

  1. That's a smart way to finally get rid of those pests. Separating those that are infested by mites and pests from the other pots is a great way to see which pots will survive. Plus, doing that helps you permanently get rid of the infestation or at least minimize it. Thanks for sharing that, Jo! Kudos and all the best to you! :)

    Alta Peng @ Liberty Pest

    ReplyDelete