Monday, September 1, 2014

Petunias for the Winter

Today I read this post and decided to give this petunia propagation a shot myself!

Here is the mother plant, in a hanging basket outside my front door, which faces south and gets solid sun pretty much the entire day.  It's a little sparse from this angle and definitely doesn't have robust bloom it did in May.


Below are a few cuttings I yanked from the hanging basket.


Pulling off the leaves and blooms...


Preparing some pots.  Lately I like to use plastic sleeves inside ceramic pots or decorative containers. I'll let the plastic sleeves have a stone base or some other sort of prop in the bottom so that there is a reservoir for excess water to collect.  I like how these sleeves are a little smaller in diameter than their pots because it will allow the water to evaporate more quickly, keeping the plants in a humid environment and not letting it get funky down there.  The soil mixture I used was a few scoops of African violet mix, a scoop of vermiculite and a scoop of perlite.


After stirring up the soil mixture with a water globe, I plug in the first crop of petunias!  These stems did not look like they had any life left, so I think I'll be pretty lucky if any of these take root, much less stay green for a few more days.



I'm setting them on the window sill in my kitchen.  That's where I like to stash propagations because by default I see them every day and they are right by a water source so I will be more inclined to water them regularly.  The light is pretty good in that sill, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment