Sunday, September 14, 2014

Dealing with Some Root Rot

So, I may have mentioned that I quasi-drowned my new Chinese evergreen plant.  Well, in the hopes of preventing further deterioration and possibly inspiring new growth, I decided to repot it and give it some fresh soil and a new home.

Having bought this square pot at a yard sale for about 67 cents the day before, I laid in some clean stone base in anticipation of its new occupant!


And then, the climactic moment - yanking the root ball out of the old pot!  As you can see, at least half of this root system has become rotted.


I decided the nasty glob of mushy roots would probably not return to life and probably was not providing much nutritional infrastructure for the plant, so I might as well get rid of it and make room for new growth.  It didn't take much poking and prodding to drop the rotten portion.  In the photo below you can see the portion of healthy roots that remain and the mound of soil and roots that were removed.


In its new pot, I think the Chinese evergreen looks fantastic!  I trimmed off more leaves that had yellowed and I am hoping those were the last to go, but I wouldn't be surprised if more fell off - it lost a significant portion of its rooting.  However, I feel like there is new growth coming out of the top so I am hopeful that there is still hope for this plant!



No comments:

Post a Comment