Sunday, August 28, 2016

Thriving Snake Plants Splits

In October of last year, I discovered that my flea market snake plant had sprouted some splits.



Bought at the Flea Market September 27, 2014
September 12, 2015

Propagations visible October 11, 2015

October 11, 2015

October 11, 2015

Two of the splits seemed slightly larger than the third and well suited for two new red pots that I had just acquired, so I prepped them some new plastic sleeves with soil and set them down in their new homes on the kitchen sink window sill, which faces west and gets plenty of direct sunlight in the evening.

Split gets a new pot October 11, 2015
Same split on August 28, 2016

Split gets a new pot October 11, 2015

Same split on August 28, 2016
The other one, I crammed into a tiny pot and placed amongst the masses in the cluster arrangement I have by the window in the dining room where it gets filtered eastern light and occasionally some evening sunlight from the windows on the other side of the living room.

Littlest split gets littlest pot October 11, 2015
Same split August 28, 2016

It would appear that the snake plant grows best with direct sunlight, as the two sitting on the kitchen window sill in direct sunlight have grown tremendously in the past 10 months.

Additionally, the other snake plant I acquired back in September 2014 is finally spreading out!  Of course, initially I had it crammed quite tightly into a narrow vase where it barely had room for soil, much less root growth or propagation.  I later repotted it into a large pot with other succulents in an experiment.  I was dissatisfied with the experiment so I split it up and set the snake plant on its own once again.  In its own private environment, it spawned a new spike almost immediately.

Just bought on September 27, 2014
Living in a vase October 19, 2014
In a cluster pot April 3, 2015

Cluster living

New propagate! August 28, 2016





No comments:

Post a Comment