Saturday, June 18, 2016

New Babe! Pothos

Another flea market find was this lovely trailing pothos babe.  With the most recent round of potting and/or repotting, I've decided to incorporate landscape fabric to help keep the soil separate from the stones or whatever drainage plane medium I am using.  Previously, any time I would go to repot a plant, I'd have a bunch of stones, for example, irretrievably mixed in with soil.  Obviously you can sift them out with a screen and possibly some water, but that would take time and tools which I do not yet have.  So let's take a look at this attempted strategy for potting...
Laying s clean stone base in the ceramic pot.

My sweet new baby pothos.

I decided to switch out the stone to these chunks of mosaic tile.

The pothos in its new plastic sleeve sitting in the ceramic pot.

A closer look reveals the landscape fabric lining of the plastic sleeve.
I didn't take any photos during the cutting of the fabric, but here's the bulleted list of the process:

  1. Cut square of landscape fabric, large enough to line the entire draining pot (sometimes referred to as sleeve or plastic pot).
  2. Place fabric in draining pot, set in plant and soil to fill.
  3. Place stones or tiles or some other inorganic medium in the bottom of your non-draining decorative or ceramic pot.
  4. Place the draining pot into the decorative pot.
It's a pretty simply configuration, but over the years I've slowly been refining this process.  We'll check back in later in the year or next year to see just how effective this landscape fabric was!

No comments:

Post a Comment