Sunday, September 14, 2014

Making the Most of My Aluminum...?

The surviving aluminum plant I have has been doing very well this growing season.  I would estimate it has tripled in size since April.  I have been wondering how these things are best propagated.  I watched a youtube channel where the gardener uses clippings in a similar strategy to what I have attempted for African violets.  Although I am probably doing it at the wrong time of year and in less than ideal conditions, I wanted to give it a shot anyway.  If it doesn't work out then next year I'll just let that thing get huge and mangy.

The original plant before any clippings:


Early in the week, I tried a test clipping using my African violet technique.  I snipped a clipping about 3 leaf clusters in length, cutting off just before the next branch of leaves.  Then I pulled off the bottom two leaves to give myself a decent stem.  I put the stem in a jar with a hand-mixed soil and stone base.  After drenching the jar, I covered it in a zip-lock baggie to create a terrarium or greenhouse type of effect.  I stuck it in a west-facing window to see how it would hold up.  Well, the next day it did not look so good.  The top leaf had started to shrivel significantly and the rest of the leaves were extremely limp. Here it is below:



I decided these clippings might be best left open-air and "simply" watered every day.  I also decided to try one using my wandering Jew technique, which is to prepare the clipping in the same way, but instead of plunging it into moist soil, setting it in a jar of water.

 Checking back in on the original plant, I am wondering if there is already some new growth around the clipped stem.  See below.


Yesterday I decided to give the rest of the plant a good clipping a.) to experiment with more propagation and b.) to keep the plant's shape regular. 



Below you can see the newly seated plants in their jars.


...And below is the original plant after its complete trimming.


I'll check back in a few weeks to show you how the newbies are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment