Sunday, July 6, 2014

Lighting

In the interest of optimizing growth, I have decided to inventory all of my plants and group them by lighting requirements.  That is, lighting requirements based on my interpretation of the various terminology used to describe each plant's ideal illumination.


Bright/Direct Sunlight:

For me, this means in the sill of an east- or west-facing window.  It would probably be best to be in a south-facing window sill, but I do not have any.

Aluminum Plant (I tried setting this next to an East-facing window and it seemed to stagnate its growth.  Placing it directly in the sunny window launched a significant growth spurt.)

Polka dot plant (If not in direct sunlight, the leaves get too green thusly kabashing the whole allure of the plant.)

Kalanchoe

Sedum

Echeveria

Gerber daisy

Cyclamen

Amaryllis


Indirect Sunlight:

For me, this means within a few feet of an east- or west-facing window.  Or, in a north-facing window sill (in the summer, some of my North-facing windows get evening sun).  There could be some direct sunlight exposure, but only briefly, like during the wee morning hours or towards the end of the evening.

Palm

Braided umbrella tree

Rex begonia

Ivy

Christmas cacti

Jade jewel

Caladium


Low Light:

For me, this is on the sill of a sun-less north-facing window, in a corner near a window or against a wall a more than a few feet from a window.  

Snake plant (I've read this can pretty much go in any lighting condition, but since I have an excess of indirect and low light, I put it up on the shelf.)

Wandering jew (These can really go in any lighting condition.  They get really full in total sun exposure, like outside during the summer.)

Orchid (In the winter, I may put these in an east-exposure, but in the summer I definitely keep them in low-light conditions.)

African violet (I'm not totally sure in what conditions this plant thrives, but for the moment, low light hasn't appeared to have killed it!)

Unidentified ivy

Chinese evergreen


And here is where the majority of them now live:


No comments:

Post a Comment